Ragi Porridge- A Nutritious Breakfast Bowl
Ragi makes for a good breakfast item as it provides energy and is rich in protein.
- Sprouted ragi flour - 4 tbsp
- Water - 2 ½ cups
- Jaggery powder/sugar - 6 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Chopped nuts of choice
- Mix ragi flour with ½ cup of water in a bowl. Whisk vigorously to ensure there are no lumps.
- In a saucepan, bring two cups of water to boil.
- Simmer and gently add the mixture to the boiling water. Make sure to keep whisk to avoid lumps.
- Cook on low flame and whisk continuously for 10 to 12 minutes until the porridge thickens.
- When it reaches the consistency you like, turn off the flame. Add more water if you feel it is too thick.
- Add jaggery/sugar to taste. Mix again until it dissolves.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Transfer the ragi porridge to a bowl of choice and top it with dates, almonds, pistachios, raisins, cashews etc.
- Serve hot.
- If you are preparing the recipe for infants or children, add a dollop of ghee.
- A savoury variant:
- Skip the sugar and add ½ tsp buttermilk, spices and salt.